Sunday, August 17, 2014

My Summer and Joni and Friends

       My summer was absolutely amazing! Earlier this year I wanted to attend 3 Joni and Friends Family Retreats, and by the grace of God I was able to go to all 3! Each camp was different and I learned soo much at each one. I have said this before, but my year would not be complete without going to at least one Joni Camp during the summer. I love all the people at camp. The fellowship is so great.
     The first camp I went to this summer was Mission Springs I in June. I had so much fun during this week, not only because I got to see other STMs and returning families who have become great friends, but also because of my camper this week. We had so much fun together!! We collected over 20 banana slugs, whom we carried around in a 5 gallon bucket. We also played lots of soccer. It was also a week of pushing myself physically. He was a runner, so he would be standing next to me one second and be halfway across the camp the next. I loved the challenge of having a runner, but partway through the week an old leg injury flared up. Several years ago I had gotten shin splints in my right leg, and with all the running and soccer playing it got aggravated. It was such a great lesson in depending on God for physical strength.
     In July, I went back to Mission Springs for the second time this summer. I got to have my camper from last July again! I was sooo excited! We had bonded so much last year, and I was praying really hard that I would get him. This young man has come so far since last year. We had so much fun sharing experiences at camp together! I love his family and him sooooo much. We picked right up from where we left off last year.
    I just got home from my third and final camp for this summer. It was held at Twin Rocks in Oregon. It was bittersweet. I loved being there, but I was already going through camp withdrawals, because I knew that I was going to have to wait a whole year before I could go back to camp again. Throughout this summer I have only had to wait 3-4 weeks between camps, so waiting 52 weeks is way to long. I absolutely loved my camper from this last week! She is one of the sweetest, patient, happy people I know. We went swimming, played on the swing, rode horses, played with wagons and did piggy back rides (she rode on my back not the other way around ;)). She also rocked at the talent show with her sister!
    Joni and Friends has meant sooooooooooo much to me over the last four years. I want to become more involved in disability ministry because of the wonderful, God loving people I have met at camp. I am looking forward to next summer when I can return to Joni Camp, but I am also looking for ways to get involved in my community.
www.joniandfriends.org

Soli Deo Gloria!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! I'ts nice to meet you. I found your blog through the Joni and Friends 35th Anniversary pinterest board. I'm glad you've had so many opportunities to work at Joni and Friends summer retreats! Your love for the people there is a beautiful thing. Thank you for serving families affected by disabilities. Blessings and joy to you today!

    ReplyDelete